Monday, July 20, 2015

Who Am I Without You, LORD?

Forlorn without God, and wrecked without a hope, despite what the godless say, without God I cannot cope.
***
Consider with me my wicked way, String together all the sins of mine, and all this is how it’s destined to stay, my sinfulness is a sign.
***
Without you, Lord, I am broken and bereft, and without you where am I left? I am unable to do a single thing right, when I am in reach of my own sight.
***
My caustic tongue and my angry gait, how am I without you to ever relate? How on earth am I to do this life, when I am destined, always, to find my way to strife?
***
I want to honour you, my Lord, my God, but every time I stray I deserve your rod. Yet your grace, I find, it is ever sufficient for me. Now I must comprehend I am free.
***
Who am I without you, Lord? Who would I be if you I ignored? And who should I become when I deserve to be gored? Thankfully you, alone, are Lord.
***
I hurt those who are closest to me; those who are stuck with me. How am I to bless their lives when instead it is me who gives them hives?
***
Pity party this is not, for I think of others and how rotten is their lot. Help me, Lord, freshly today, to make for them something better than grey.
***
What will become of me in my lack? Lord, help me today to find my knack. But today I acknowledge I need help, so help me today, please, when I begin to yelp.
***
Many areas of life I can’t deal with; many send me to the realms of hell. Help me know when I need to reach out in order that you might quell. Help me rest in you — so of your glory I can tell. Help me know of the life beyond hell.
***
Save me from the times of my sin, when it is clear I am dangerous to my kin. Lord, save me when I am about to do wrong. From sin’s weakness make me faithful and strong.
***
Give me insight when I cannot see a thing. Make me hold; to you I cling. Make it be that in weakness I sing. Make me sing of what you bring.
***
Who am I without you, oh my Lord? For this, and more, you deserve to be adored!
***
Help me deep down in my sin. Get down, deep in me, beneath my skin.
© 2015 Steve Wickham.

No comments: