Friday, July 22, 2011

The ‘Infilling’ Gift of the Holy Spirit


“Peter said to them, ‘Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ so that your sins may be forgiven; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit’.” ~Acts 2:38 (NRSV).


The topography of my spirit is the same as yours,


Hypocrisy and recrimination are intruders of daily intent,


The kind that – really – my spirit abhors,


The kind that only the Holy Spirit can fragment.


Hypocrisy: yes, the sin of the flesh,


Recrimination: when Satan talks to me,


Holy Spirit, help me rise – only You can refresh,


Silence the voice – so it’s only with You I agree.


***


The gift of the infilling of the Holy Spirit is an ongoing reality for those continually turning back to God. We’re filled to the level at which we want. God imposes no limit.


Salvation is not a one-time thing so far as salvation living is concerned.


We must continue to draw near to God so God will draw near to us (James 4:8).


God asks today: “Do you really want the infilling of my Holy Spirit? It is my daily gift for those seeking me.”


© 2011 S. J. Wickham.



No comments: