Thursday, August 7, 2008

Anointed For the Lonely Task Of Leadership

A.W. Tozer is as close to being the fullness of legacy of human inspiration of a minister as anyone could find, save the idolatry of worship. The more I read about the man the more I engage with his heart to fearlessly and faithfully follow the Lord Jesus Christ. Evangelist in the atypical mould, he presented truth starkly and his message endures through the generations.
s
The Christian and Missionary Alliance church ordained Tozer on August 18, 1920, aged 23. At the time he sought not to celebrate his anointing in the typical fashion, instead finding a quiet place to utter his own prayer of allegiance humbly before God. The essence of his prayer is captured in the “Prayer of a Minor Prophet.” Reading this prayer, I extracted part of it which draws out his insurgent desire to walk the narrow, lonely road of life. He prays,
s
I accept hard work and small rewards in this life. I ask for no easy place. I shall try to be blind to the little ways that could make life easier. If others seek the smoother path I shall try to take the hard way without judging them too harshly. I shall expect opposition and try to take it quietly when it comes. Or if, as sometimes it falleth out to Thy servants, I should have grateful gifts pressed upon me by Thy kindly people, stand by me then and save me from the blight that often follows. Teach me to use whatever I receive in such manner that will not injure my soul nor diminish my spiritual power. And if in Thy permissive providence honor should come to me from Thy church, let me not forget in that hour that I am unworthy of the least of Thy mercies, and that if men knew me as intimately as I know myself they would withhold their honors or bestow them upon others more worthy to receive them.
s
These words offered to his Saviour echo his desire to try to honour God. It is as amazing as it is humbling to read these lines and A.W.’s complete devotion to God -- as complete as any human being could make I imagine. This would be a daily challenge, a daily struggle, and a daily re-commitment -- no doubt -- for the remaining forty three years of his life.
s
His ordination is said to be one of the pivotal moments of his life, yet he did not celebrate as the world might expect. He lived counter to the world, set apart, for God’s purposes. How difficult it must have been for this lonely shepherd to discern spiritual right from wrong; impossible without prayer, faith, and surrender.
s
For anyone who is compelled of God -- to answer his call (and I do, resoundingly), A.W. Tozer has left a clear legacy of true and timeless gospel-honouring discipleship. It is a swath of courageous action prepared to be utterly unpopular and succinctly miraculous.
s
Copyright © 2008, S.J. Wickham. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.

No comments: