Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Living Practically

Balthasar Gracian’s oracles are timeless and insightful. It might be called “The Art of Worldly Wisdom,” but it parallels Godly wisdom in many ways. This particular oracle speaks about gratitude and being realistic as anything. Gracian says:
s
“If you are wise, live as you can, if you cannot live as you would. Think more highly of what fate has given you than of what it has denied.”
s
Being focused on what we have rather than on what we don’t have helps us be more grateful. For instance, I have lots of interests and varied responsibilities but often little time to do it all in. My life can get complex. I’m rather time-poor. I know when I focus on being time-poor I’m not far from frustration -- in fact, you guessed it, I’m there instantly.
s
None of us can really live as we would like to -- this is a fact of life. Life’s been structured this way. It’s not for our comfort, but for our character development half the time. So, we live as we can or as we’re able to.
s
No matter that Gracian’s material is 400 years old -- he still noted the same societal bereftness toward virtue that we note in today’s society. “What a misfortune for our age that it regards virtue as a stranger and vice as a matter of course!” And we do, many of us, accept that vice is part of the journey of life. My pastor told us of a story recently where a couple were sceptical of leaving their 15-year-old son at a church youth meeting, thinking church people a kooky lot, yet the following week they held no such concerns dropping him at a party where drink and drugs would be consumed and people would no doubt ‘shack-up’ with each other. Virtue seems never popular for some warped reason; not at least as popular as vice! It also demonstrates the courage that parents need to have in standing for virtue against vice in their children’s lives, especially in the teenage years.
s
Living practically is also choosing to live in the present. “Adapt yourself to the present, even though the past [might] appear better.” And this is our stumbling block a lot of the time. We choose the past or the future as defaults to thinking when easily we could stay with the present day.
s
For me, living practically is about remaining holistically-compartmentalised. That is to say that I need to see my life holistically and draw value from the whole, whilst valuing each separate compartment of my life (i.e. home, family, work, writing, exercise, sleep etc) in order to bring the best from each one. A holistic viewpoint gives me mental balance which delivers emotional and spiritual balance. Compartmentalising thought is about bringing each part of my life to fullness and effectiveness.
s
Copyright © 2008, Steven J. Wickham. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.

No comments: