Saturday, June 28, 2008

Starting the Day in a Consistent Way

As a leader in my family, at my workplace, and over my own life I must recognise now the power I have to choose my attitude. This day is likely to bring unexpected challenges, struggles, trials, and tests. The only defence I have is my positive, humble, non-complaining, uncompromising, and overcoming attitude.
s
If I do fail, and often I will, I can choose to smile and then simply get on with the next thing. I can be tolerant, patiently accepting the present difficulty. I can become aware when my attitude is faltering, and in that moment, rectify the imbalance. I can decide to see my life holistically which reminds me that though this piece of time may be painful, most is actually very tolerable, indeed, enjoyable.
s
I can be cool and unruffled in every circumstance. I can choose to not argue or complain. I can make up my mind. I can simplify and focus. I can accept differences, exercising patience. I can have the courage to be.
s
When things go wrong I can choose to contemplate before I act. How do I feel? What is wise? What shall I do?
s
I can control my mood. I can develop my mental game; my direct worldview. I can align my expectations with my talents and present realities.
s
These things above, all states of mind, are all very real possibilities. It is up to me. Nothing taken for granted, everything received with gratitude, everything passed on with grace.
s
As I sit right now, alone with my most trusted companion, Solitude, I see suddenly from the proper perspective before the onslaught of life takes over.
s
Hold me dear God, reminding me gently and firmly of these thoughts as I traverse the day. May it finish as it started; in peace. Like a clock during a thunderstorm, my quieted mind can endure.
s
Copyright © 2008, Steven John Wickham. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.
s
I acknowledge the work of G.K. Chesterton, Thomas Jefferson, Robert Louis Stephenson, Henry David Thoreau, Paul Tillich, and Edward De Bono and have used their constructs herein.

No comments: