Friday, May 9, 2008

Wisdom Cries Out – Hear Her Cry Now

“I, Wisdom, dwell together with prudence; I help you find knowledge and acquire discretion. The fear the LORD means hating evil; I hate pride and arrogance, any evil behaviour and certainly perverted, unjust speech. Counsel and sound judgment are mine; I have understanding and power. I am both Insight and Virtue. With my help, leaders rule, and lawmakers legislate fairly; with my help, governors govern well, and all in legitimate authority. I love those who love me, and those who seek me diligently, and while they can, find me. My followers get what I’ve got. Riches and a good reputation belong with me; enduring prosperity and right standing also. My benefits are worth more than all the finest gold in the world; a big salary, even a very big salary, and hefty bonuses, just can’t compare. You can find me on Righteous Road -- that's where only I walk -- at the intersection of Justice Avenue, You’ll find me handing out life to those who love me, filling their arms with the wealth of life -- truckloads of it!”[1]
s
WHAT DO WE DO when we hear Wisdom’s call to us in our early years? By far and away most of us choose to look the other way, simply because Wisdom looks too hard and way too boring. If you’re reading this, you’re searching and that is very good for you -- it’s not too late for you like it was for people who never sought Wisdom.
s
Wisdom is the key to life. She multiplies blessings through knowledge, power, discretion, prudence, discipline, and understanding. The broad effect of Wisdom is good fortune, a good reputation, and a long, enjoyable and peace-filled life. Everything good is found in her and her benefits always far outweigh any earthly or worldly benefits one could dream of acquiring.
s
Wisdom can only be found, however, through a diligent and intentional search. No one stumbles across her path. Yet, she traps many who are brought to the crossroads of life; yet how many continue to escape back to Folly? Wisdom brings one down to the rock bottom of life only to be rejected yet again -- and little do fools know, Wisdom is the only way to life. The diligent find insight and virtue without any trouble.
s
Anyone in leadership who uses Wisdom well is bound to succeed. She guides the leader in honesty and integrity keeping his or her paths straight. And we need more leaders who choose the righteous wisdom of the fear of the LORD.
s
Speech is a hard thing to control, and only with Wisdom is it even remotely possible. Wisdom shows a person how to speak for the edification, and in defence, of others. It’s certainly not for boasting of self.
s
Wisdom is the way things work out. It’s God’s law. It is cause and effect. Why then would we in our right minds choose a path that is not Her’s?
s
Copyright © 2008, Steven John Wickham. All Rights Reserved Worldwide.
s
[1] Adapted and freely modified from the NIV, The Message, and Amplified Bible versions of Proverbs 8:12-21.

No comments: