Monday, May 12, 2008

Prayer and the Will of God

Step 11 of typical 12-step recovery programs goes something like:
s
"I pray for knowledge of God's will and the power to carry it out."
s
Yesterday's message by Brian Pickering, national coordinator of the Australian Prayer Network, spoke to the intent of Step 11. Prayer is God speaking to me regarding his heart's desire for me to do.
s
He places burdens on my heart: lifelong; seasonal; and momentary. I discern those burdens, which are/become my passions and then I obey his will for my life by carrying out what he's saying. He plants the burden.
s
Where's my passion? 1) my wife and my children. 2) the breaking of generational curses.
s
Cooperating with God, through prayer, is listening to him and then acting on what he's said. Every day there are fresh opportunities. I must be radically available.
s
"... the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will."
ROMANS 8:26-27.

No comments: