Friday, December 14, 2007

Just need a little patience

WHEN DRIVING IN TRAFFIC recently I was again amazed by the gall of some motorcyclists...
s
Queue jumpers! There seems to be a mentality amongst many people who ride motorbikes that there exists a 'third lane' on the dual-lane carriageway. That they can zip up through the slowing traffic, to claim first place, is amazing. If someone did this while queuing at a bank or Medicare or at the shops they'd be rudely mistaken, and roundly abused!
s
The particular day I had this experience, I noticed something unusual--a motorcyclist obediently following a car, staying in the one lane, and being a model motorist. I was taken by his behaviour to such an affect I was tempted to wind my driver's window down and applaud him!
s
Sometimes we're disappointed in life...
s
No sooner had I had this experience, I was confronted with four motorbikes (one after the other) zipping past me (me in the left-hand lane) and driving in a manner that was not simply rude but downright haphazard--as if their homes were on fire and they urgently rushed--priority one--home. The long and the short of it was, the model motorcyclist must have seen this behaviour and figured he was wasting his time being so obedient and considerate of other road users, because only a few kilometres down the road and he commenced the same erratic and inconsiderate behaviour, albeit more conservatively.
s
I have often wondered what happens at a deeper level with this sort of person. Does the 'queue-jumping' motorcyclist eventually change, seeking to be first at all times, in other areas of his or her life? Do they become more selfish in the long run than those who drive cars? What is their attitude towards obeying the law; can it be flouted in other ways like they seem to think it can be on the road? What does it do for their character's--are they impatient people, requiring first service. Whatever the long-term psychological effect, it can't be a positive one, can it?
s
I call on all motorcyclists to obey the road rules and prove they are not recalcitrants, one-by-one. I wonder if I will see in my lifetime a reform in the way motorbikes are ridden on the road; where they seek to courteously give way and ride responsibly. I want to, no need to, respect every human being, but it is a huge challenge to respect some. It is my prayer that something will happen that will cause reform however. Perhaps car motorists who see respectful motorcyclists could give them some sort of kudos; perhaps give them the thumbs-up as they record their number plate and report them for an award! Perhaps the State could get on-board with this?
s
I know this is a tolerance test for me, and God, I am thankful for it. It reminds me to breath-in and thank him that I am not in such a hurry, that life is a little less frenzied for me. It reminds me to hasten slowly, to continue on my patient way, and to pray that these motorcyclists make it to their destinations safely--it might be one of my family members or a friend that might be involved with them in a traffic accident. Needless to say (though I will say it) it causes regrettable suffering for some family or other who suffers the loss or injury of one or more of their own.
s
When it comes to a road death, the rest is history.

No comments: